Kernel Question

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Wed Jun 18 14:36:26 UTC 2008

Paul,

Paul Melvin wrote:

> Thanks mks,
>
> I dunno exactly what I am trying to do I suppose ;)
>
> I have just tried another disti before coming back to ubuntu and it was all
> do it yourself to get the best out, and after rolling quite a few kernels in
> that migratory phase I thought I could improve mine by rolling it
> specifically to suit my needs
>
> But do you think that it would make much difference?

General rule of thumb : If it ain't broke... don't fix it.

Second general rule of thumb : Ubuntu kernel already includes a bunch of
cool features.

Chances are, you're getting all you need with the "generic" kernel already.

Reasons for which you might want to build your own kernel might include :

1) You want it to be much much smaller by removing bits and pieces you
KNOW you won't need - e.g. drivers. Not just a few kilobytes as with
today's machines, that wouldn't make much difference, but, say, you are
going to run it on a very small configuration.

2) You want to add specific features (drivers, threading, multi
processor...) and you want to build your own. Chances are you'll find a
Ubuntu kernel already tuned with what you want in the normal
repositories. Just install that kernel and you'll get the features you
want...

Gilles.