Video Problem in Ubuntu 8.04

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:40:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm gathering you installed the driver through synaptic? I personally
>> prefer to install the nVidia drivers via the envy script which seems to do a
>> bang up job on ++most++ systems that i'v

Well, I finally got my problem fixed, and it was hell doing it.
Basically I tried just about everything.  I tried using EnvyNG to
install the drivers but every time my screen resolution was fixed to
640x480 and I couldn't change it.  I tried xrandr but it wouldn't let
me change the resolution either.  I reinstalled the drivers via
Synaptic and then looked on every forum I could find.  I found one
that suggested running the old GTK screen resolution window from Gutsy
which is still in Hardy.  I did that, told it my monitor could do
1024x768 and finally my resolution is where it should be.  I can
enable visual effects for Compiz Fusion like the zoom and color
inversion for my vision problem.  This is a bug that needs fixing.
Screen Resolution in Hardy doesn't let you select what type of monitor
you have and this needs addressing.  My display is a Sun Microsystems
21inch VGA compatible screen.  I know its not a standard monitor
because Vista throws a hissy fit whenever I try to use it as an
external display on my laptop.  Basically, the chips in monitors which
tell display drivers what kind of monitor and what settings it can
handle aren't in this monitor.  Well, my problem is fixed but damn
this was a pain.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com