mail

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Wed Jun 18 02:42:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 22:12 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 15:47 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >> To get mail just use sudo apt-get install mailx and mailutil
> >
> > mailx is pretty ancient software, but is still usable.  I would not at
> > this time recommend it for the casual mail user.
>
> Well, it's a pain for actually _reading_ mail, but it's pretty much
> necessary if you want things like cron to deliver mail for you

I do not think it is needed.  cron seems to call /usr/sbin/sendmail
which is either postfix or sendmail, depending on the installed MTA.
The mailx package is unnecessary to send mail from cron, although for
explicitly sending mail, it is easier to use than the raw sendmail
interface.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect