expand /boot partition?

chris lostpkts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 16:39:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> That's why I stopped using a /boot partition.  Back when I had one, I think
> it was only 30M :-)
>
> Copy your entire /boot to /bootsave.
>
> Now, go into Vista, and shrink the NTFS partition (you'll have to google for
> that, because I only had to do it once...).
>
> Boot Ubuntu with a LiveCD.  With the partition manager, delete /dev/sda2,
> create new /dev/sda2 using all the free space.  Put a new FS on it.  Mount
> the new FS and copy /bootsave to the new FS.  Rerun grub-install (I think -
> this might not be necessary).
>
> I was going to suggest it would be even easier to just treat /dev/sda2
> as "lost" and put /boot on the root filesystem, but you've got that
> encrypted LVM which I bet causes headaches...

Well I'm not sure if I just bricked my laptop.

I went to gparted and told it to move 100M from the back of sda1 and
put it on sda2.  It was happy with my selections and chugged away for
45 min.

Afterwards, things appeared to be fine so I rebooted.

I use the Windows Vista boot manager to load up Windows or Ubuntu.
grub is installed on sda2 instead of the root of sda.

Anyway... Windows is now completed pissed off.  Its saying I need to
put in my DVD to 'repair' the system as its missing
\Windows\system32\winload.exe   and of course my dvd is at home.

It won't even let me load grub from sda2 to get into ubutnu.   I'm
tempted to just instlal grub on sda and go from there... but not sure
that would be happy that way.

The encrypted thing is nice though in case the laptop gets stolen I'm
not worried about the data on it.  its fairly transparent except when
I boot and have to enter the password from hell to get it unencrypted.
 I much prefer it being encrypted.