Move to 8.04, Hardy Heron

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 17 04:01:10 UTC 2008

On 06/16/2008 02:05 PM, Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Who picks those names?  When we get to 'N', how about Needy Nerd?  :)
>
> This weekend, I actually went so far as to click on the Upgrade button
> for 8.04.  Then I saw how long the download would take, multiplied that
> by 5 ( the number of Ubuntu systems I have ) and said 'nyet'.  I found
> an old email in this forum that talked about doing upgrades using the
> alternative CD.  So, I went and downloaded it and tried the following
> suggestion.

All you should need to do is insert the Alt CD and it will prompt you to
upgrade. That will then take the info from the Alt CD and begin the
upgrade. Note: for new installs from the Alt CD, I alway disconnect the
system from the network. That way it doesn't find the dhcp and prompts
you to retry, configure manually, or "Do not configure the network at
this time". I select the later & it then performs the install directly
from the CD. Following the install I then reconnect the network and do
the updates.