Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:16:45 UTC 2008

On 6/16/08, muhammad akbar ss <akbar47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> dear friends,
> I had installed Ubuntu Hardy Feron on my Notebook, Acer 4310 with Broadcom
> wifi. The installation is success and work properly.
> but i got some difficulties when i want to connnect to the internet by wifi.
>  1. I couldn't find how to make it work. There is a button for wifi in the
> laptop, but cannot be used.
> 2. It quaite long the booting time for Hardy Feron, is there any tools can
> fastened the booting.
> Thax
> AKBAR (new user from Indonesia)

Hi Akbar,

I might sound like a broken record, but I really think the easiest
thing to do is find some place where you can plug in via an ethernet
cable and install ndisgtk.  You will need a Windows driver file, which
should come with the laptop or can be gotten from the manufacturer
when you are installing the other software.

1. Install ndisgtk when connected via a cable by typing "sudo apt-get
install ndisgtk" in a terminal (Apps...Accessories...Terminal).  Save
the Windows driver ".inf" file to your hard drive if you don't have a
driver on disk.

2.  In a terminal window, type "sudo ndisgtk".  You will not see your
card.  Click the "add" function and browse to the .inf file, either on
a disk or where you saved it.  There may be several choices, I have
used the Windows XP one with luck a few times.

3.  If the program finds your hardware, you are probably going to be
okay.  If not, you will need to try something more technical.

good luck,