(Gnome) Keyboard shortcut to switch to workspace 3/4 - is it possible?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:48:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Marcin Kasperski
<Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl> wrote:

> I am using 4 workspaces, and I got used (*) to having Ctrl-F1,
> Ctrl-F2, Ctrl-F3 and Ctrl-F4 keys available to jump between them.
>
> But ... currently, in "Keyboard Shortcuts" windows, only
> "Switch to workspace 1" and "Switch to workspace 2" are available,
> nothing more.
>
> Is it possible to assign keys for "switch to workspace 3" and "switch
> to workspace 4" anyhow? And, out of curiosity, where are those custom
> keys saved (can't find them...).

You have to create the workspaces first, before those keystroke
changes are possible.

Workspaces are generally created by the Window Manager.  If you run
the default meta city, they want you to interact with it through the
workspace switcher panel applet.  That's where you increase the
workspaces.  In another window manager, like WindowMaker, there's a
pull down menu to add workspaces. Right now, I'm running the
gnome-compiz framework and in the advanced Compiz Settings Manager,
there's a general menu item where you add the number of workspaces.

Supposing you did that, and you see 4 workspaces in the switcher,but
can't set the key combination your want, then you may have found the
same bug I found on one system. The number of desktops was set to 8,
but the gnome workspace switcher only saw two and the shortcut manager
only saw two.  I felt certain there was something wrong in the gconf
settings, and I tooled around in gconf-editor to see.  If you look
under Apps > Metacity, you see the number of workspaces is set there.
If you are using Metacity, then try to change that number and see if
it fixes the problem. The workspace switcher should have done it, but
sometimes it goes wrong.

After messing about with gconf-editor, I grew frustrated and logged
out, did Alt-Ctl-F1, logged in as a different user, and then moved the
.gconf* and .gnome* and .metacity* and .nautilus* directories out of
my user account, and then restart gdm, and  when I logged in again I
could take a "clean start" and get it right.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science