How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Jun 16 02:19:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 20:47 -0700, Brian Tillman wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2008, at 8:27 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 10:01 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> > > mount the folders and rsync to the mount point.

> > > I'm not certain of all the implications of backing up ext3 to
> > > fat32
> > > over samba - it could be some metadata is lost - I'd want to
> > > research
> > > that first. Brian

> Look at using duplicity instead. It will allow you to backup directly
> via ftp without having to first mount the volume. It will also backup
> you files into optionally encrypted tarballs which *should* prevent
> any complications backing up to fat32.
> Other Brian

Hi Brian (and others interested, too)
Well, I looked at duplicity and it sounds really interesting !
Thanks !! ;-)

In the meantime, with my very first inexperienced tries yesterday to get
the TCP/IP hooked i had many NO success !!! ;-(

Booting the system this morning the first time this external TCP/IP HDD
shows up properly with a FTP folder on desktop as 192.168.144.140 ;-D

I am able too to create and manipulate folders ;-))

So, optimistically I tried rsync to get a first backup to that unit with
the following result:

sna at WS222:~$ sudo rsync -av --progress /home/sna/
smb://192.168.144.140/Backup/710_804
ssh: smb: Name or service not known
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454)
[sender=2.6.9]
sna at WS222:~$

Can you, or anyone Ubuntu experts / cracks, tell me what I'm doing
miss / wrong here ???
I do notice it has to do with ssh (absolutely no experience & idea) and
Samba ! ;-)
Yes, the unit supports FTP and Samba !! ;-|

I am quite sure I am on the right path but doing properly !! ;-|

Your advice and guidance may lead me to the solution very soon ! ;-D

Cheers, svobi