[problem] WLAN Driver for NEC Versa S3300

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 15 16:45:47 UTC 2008

On 06/14/2008 11:26 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Achmad Dahlan wrote:
>> AD: the WLAN card is Atheros QMI E100 WLAN Ver 5.3.0.45 and i have
>> switched ON the physical button.
>
> Is this perhaps the name of the driver coming with your hardware? I can't
> find anything about a wireless card with this name.
>
>> below is the message from U-buntu
>> hardware Driver "Proprietary driver do not have public driver that
>> ubuntu developer are free to modify. They represent a risk  to you
>> because they are only available on the type of computer chosen by
>> manufacturer and security update to them depend solely on the
>> responsiveness of the manufacturer. Ubuntu can not fix or solve this
>> problem"
>
> I'm not sure where you see this message, but did you install that driver
> and it doesn't work? Or did you not install the driver because of the
> warning?

That is the autodetect message that comes up when Ubuntu detects some
devices with proprietary drivers. In Gutsy it was provided by the
restricted-manager (now obsolete), and in Hardy it is provided by jockey
https://launchpad.net/jockey
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/jockey-gtk

<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Ubuntu/Screenshots?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=jockey.png>
https://launchpad.net/jockey/+announcement/444

I would recommend that Achmad Dahlan go ahead and enable the driver.
That way he will not need to load madwifi etc.