How to rsync to an external HDD with TCP/IP ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Jun 15 03:27:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 10:01 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 8:42 AM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
> <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> > It has a 200GB HDD and is FAT32 formatted and provides access with FTP
> > and Samba.
> >
> > How do we rsync the backups to the existing Backup folder from my / our
> > notebook/s to this TCP/IP connected unit ?
>
> mount the folders and rsync to the mount point.
>
> I'm not certain of all the implications of backing up ext3 to fat32
> over samba - it could be some metadata is lost - I'd want to research
> that first.
>
> Brian

Hi Brian
Thanks for your feedback and concerns !

I have absolutely no idea how to get the TCP/IP unit visible nor do I
know how to mount without any more specific data !!

Have tried a few net commands without fortune ;-(

Sorry ;-|

Regarding the implication of backing up ext3 to fat 32:
Well I am interested to hear and learn about but don't worry about it !
My primary backup/s will be a rsync from ext3 to ext3 to an external USB
HDD !!
An additional backup will be tar to the same unit also ext3 to ext3 !!!

Cheers, svobi