Booting Linux Help! Help!

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:18:37 UTC 2008

2008/6/14, Email Message <sh_offshore at hotmail.com>:

>  No I am NOT kidding. I gat about 100 messages. If I log in more than once
a day I get another lot. It takes about 20 second to get a new screen up. I
only get 25 messages at a time up so have to keep changing screens (another
20 sec each time). I cannot see that there is any facility to mark all
messages and then delete them in Hotmail. In any case I cannot do that
because I have my own messages mixed up with the Ubuntu messages which I
keep stored on the system until I can store them into my computer.

>  Of course if I want to read the messages it also takes forevery to
display them and then move to another and display that etc etc.

You don't seem to want a solution for that, but here is a suggestion anyway:
Create a new email account, it can be hotmail if you prefer that, or there
are a lot of alternatives out there, GMail being one of them. Then
unsubscribe from this list and all other lists you are subscribed to. Then
subscribe to all the lists again, but this time with your new email address.
Now all list email will come to your new email address and not interfere
with your personal email.

At least this works for me. After that, I made some filters so I could
easily separate the different lists from each other, by attaching different
labels to emails from different lists, so now I can read only email from the
GIMP list, or only OpenOffice developer's list or EasyTag list or whatever.
Maybe you will even find filtering so useful that you don't even bother to
create a new email account, because filtering could just be enough to solve
the problem.

Anyway, if you find hotmail so annoying, just switching to something else
could be the solution too.

>  DOES ANYONE PERHAPS HAVE THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM WHICH IS THAT I CANNOT
BOOT LINUX FROM MY HDD. I HAVE LOADED A BOOTABLE LINUX SYSTEM ON MY PC BUT
IT WILL NOT BOOT.

>  WHEN THE PC BOOTS UP IT GOES THROUGH THE INITIAL BOOT ROUTINES OF TESTING
MEMORY, FEATURES ETC BUT IMMEDIATELY IT TRIES TO LOAD LINUX FROM THE HDD IT
COMES UP WITH A MESSAGE SAYING "NDLR MISSING" RETRY WITH A BOOTABLE PROGRAM.

>  WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? IF I CANNOT GET IT TO WORK I WILL HAVE TO ABANDON MY
ATTEMPTS TO ESCAPE FROM MICROSOFT.

>  STAN

A reinstall is the only answer that I can come up with, but I am just a
beginner, like you.

Have you tried to make a GRUB Live-CD and boot your computer with it? It
might be able to fix whatever there is to be fixed regarding boot.

Is your drive partitioned properly? A gParted Live-CD can fix that for you
(with your directions).