Bootin 4 OS'es?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sat Jun 14 09:29:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 01:25 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 10:49 -0400, stan wrote:
> > I'd like to set my laptop up to boot 4 different OS'es. Those would be
> > Ubuntu, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and XP. Can anyone suggest a way to do this?
>
>   Install XP First, or if it is installed, figure out how much room you
> want to shrink it by, and remember that figure.  During the partitioning
> (You can shrink your XP install here, after you've defragged XP using
> Windows), set up your /Swap as a primary partition, then use the rest as
> an extended partition and give some thought to whether you are going to
> use one /home partition for the three remaining OS' or their
> separate /home partitions, or whether you want even separate /home
> partitions.  Also do some thinking about which one of the OS' will
> handle the boot process.  My main system has 5 OS' on it, and managing
> Grub has become an issue.  Those OS' which upgrade the Kernel and
> initrd, but use symlinks make this easier, those that do not require
> editing of /boot/grub/menu.lst to point to the correct kernel/initrd
> images.

Hi Mike
Your suggestion to setup /SWAP as a primary partition interests me !
Can you explain me why ?

After using OS/2 for more than 13 years and my very first Ubuntu 7.10
since October 2007 I am preparing an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS installation from
scratch !

My thoughts were somewhat similar to yours above:
prim for WinXPP and the (swap, root and home) in extended.

I wanted to install OS/2 again / too but I am not sure anymore yet
but I do need to get my OS/2 data migrated !!! ;-)

TIA for your efforts and explanation of SWAP in primary.
Cheers, svobi