Install failure, /dev/disk/by-uuid/8**** does not exist.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jun 13 19:05:32 UTC 2008

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> I tried the live 8.04 cd, which worked nicely, so I proceded to
> install. All seemed to go well, but at the end the install procedure
> broke off and when I tried to boot from hard-disk I got "GRUB loading
> stage 1.5.  Error 15". In the /boot directory there is no grub
> subdirectory. The last 50 lines of /var/log/syslog are below, but what
> took my attention was the line:
>
> Jun 13 13:21:00 ubuntu migration-assistant: error: /dev/disk/by-
> uuid/8eddddba-dc57-4771-b1bf-015323dade22 does not exist.
>
> I tried this a number of times with somewhat different hd parameters,
> but always got the same result. I also tried to install 7.10, which was
> originally installed on these computers, but again the same result.
>
> The computer has a 450 MHz Pentium III, about 750 MB ram and 2
> harddisks, one of 6.5 GB which I use as root and one of about 14 GB
> which is used as /home and /swap and on which I once also tried to
> install /boot. The other times /boot was not in a separate partition.
> I  did  not format   /home, but did format all the other partitions.

I would disconnect the second disk (with swap and /home) and then try to
install again. Use manual partitioning and select to only create the /
partition without swap (if possible). You have enough RAM so it should
work without swap. I would expect that the installation now will be
complete including boot loader.

Then if you can boot from the new installation, connect the second hard
disk. I suppose, your /home partition is already set up from your
partition. If you don't know how to do it, please post the output of the
command

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

and the contents of your /etc/fstab file. After modifying the fstab use
the command

sudo mount -a

and check that the /home partiton is actually mounted.

Nils