64GB on 32bit

Miano, Steven M. Steven.Miano at mybrighthouse.com
Fri Jun 13 18:08:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:58 AM, Corneil du Plessis <corneil at tsctech.com> wrote:
> This might be a silly question:
>
> Is there a reason why 32bit Ubuntu kernel is not built with 64GB support by
> default?

Do you know anyone who uses 32 bit and has a m/b that even supports
that much RAM?

Or more than say, 4gb?

Personally, if I had that much RAM (my present MB has 2 gb, and only 2
slots, so I have to take out the existing memory, and say put 2 8 gig
sticks (if available) to do 16 gig for instance.

But I wouldn't even bother putting a 32-bit version on it.

> Regards
>
> Corneil

I run game servers with 8gb of RAM, running the Server Kernel of 8.04 PAE is turned on by default (support for up to 64gb). The game servers themselves do not run in a 64 bit environment, however will in a 32 bit. So I need to use a 32bit OS that has PAE enabled. 4x2gb sticks is what I currently maintain.

Cheers,

Steven