What's happening on ubuntu-users , and why it's normal

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 13 14:47:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:55:37 +0300
Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at gmail.com> wrote:

> pe, 2008-06-13 kello 20:12 +1000, Peter Garrett kirjoitti:
>
> > The two paragraphs are addressed to different audiences.
>
> The issue at hand is the same. You are not setting different standards
> to different people?

No, no - as Avi Greenbury explains in his reply, i am simply
advocating compromise - although I prefer the word "consensus", since
I am suggesting that we can reach consensus that both "sides" can alter
their approach somewhat :)

> [...]
>
> > On the other hand, those who are in the habit of giving terse answers
> > need to try to be a bit more considerate in their wording.
>
> But this is what one side of this conversaton has been saying all the
> time. You seem to think that when you repeat it, it carries a special
> meaning.

Context, Ari, context... a summary inevitably repeats parts of the
conversation of which it is a precis...

> Look, you just said to both sides of a dispute that they are wrong and
> that they should adopt the view of the other side. Can't you see the
> funniness? ;-)

Yes, I can see the funniness from your viewpoint ;-)  - I think your
viewpoint is *cough*, somewhat literal - but the intention of the text
is clearly not contradictory, as you seem to think. Further, you seem to
have missed the point that I am precisely *not* claiming that either
side is wrong :) On the contrary, I am suggesting that both sides have
a point, and simply need to see each other's view of the question.

Shades of grey?

--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>