Ubuntu's disorganized behaviour

Young tuxman at knology.net
Fri Jun 13 06:56:37 UTC 2008

I used synaptic to install MyPassWordSafe.

1)
It did not add MyPassWordSafe to any menu.
Whether or not Ubuntu's Add/Remove or Synaptic adds a new program to a
menu seems in my experience to be something that is entirely arbitrary.

A***Why any program would not be added to a menu upon installation is
beyond me.***

2)
In order to test the program I first tried to search for it. No evidence
of its existence could be found using a search tool. I assumed that
something had gone wrong, and went back to Synaptic to check, but there
it showed installed. A look at properties > installed files showed where
the files were, and sure enough Nautilus found them. I found the
executable and tested the program. If I had liked it and wanted to keep
it I could have made a link and...
But, the ability to make a link to the executable was unavailable.

B***Why the ability to make a link, for something which I can execute by
double clicking, should be limited, is incomprehensible.***

C***Why search tools are unable to find files which are obviously there
is a complete failure.***

D***Why software should be without a name, (the search tool) and
apparently untraceable by the average user, is a case of myopic
developers incapable of placing themselves in the position of a user.***

Yes, I know that this is a bit of a rant, but how else will it get fixed?

Mark