Ubuntu Gaming/Vista Partition

Jonathan Hirschman jonathan at hirschman.net
Thu Jun 12 19:19:57 UTC 2008

Joel wrote:
> Partition:-
>
> Ok, considering the amount of money I wasted on Vista, does anybody
> know how I could partition my hard drive and instill Ubuntu on this
> partition. I have searched around a bit and I found that you can
> partition with a built in tool with Vista. But sadly it will only let
> me partition 71 MB even though I have roughly 39 GB free space on my
> hard drive.

See this:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

and this...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

I've used the gparted bootable ISO, and it works very, very well. That
being said, there is always a chance of losing your data during a
partition resizing - it is not 100% foolproof. Make sure that you have
your data backed up, and that you can re-install your OS and other
programs if need be. Since you're coming from the Windows world, you may
want to look into using Ghost or similar to do a full imaging of your
hard drive, so that you can restore it if need be. Note that Linux
offers tools to do the same thing, but I wouldn't recommend them to a
newbie.

Alternately, you could look into buying a copy of Partition Magic or
Acronis Partition Manager, which do the same thing, and may be less
troublesome with Vista.

Good luck, and be careful.

jh