How to be helpful

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Thu Jun 12 14:28:37 UTC 2008

Hi!

Derek Broughton wrote:
>> 4: Make sure your information is COMPLETE. Terse is OK. Obtuse is not.
>> If someone asks how to flibble a wodget, don't just answer
>> "run /usr/sbin/flibbler". Direct them to a man page,
>>
> No, I'm not buying that one.  If I tell somebody to run /usr/sbin/flibbler,
> I _expect_ them to "man flibbler".  Though my advice would normally be "man
> flibbler", rather than "run flibbler".

Yes, actually... :)

Teaching by example is a VERY (if not THE MOST) efficient way to teach.

So DO tell them to run /usr/sbin/flibbler ... with the proper
parameters. Then drive the point in by telling them that they can find
more interesting uses to the command flibbler by typing man flibbler and
suggesting that they do that for other commands as well since Linux
inherited the man pages from the Unix world. And while you're at it,
suggest to them the use of a very very interesting, and useful, command
: apropos ...

Gilles.