What's happening on ubuntu-users , and why it's normal

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 12 11:05:38 UTC 2008

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:33:02 +1000
> From: Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>
> Subject: What's happening on ubuntu-users , and why it's normal
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> I've just spent some time reading through recent threads, and decided
> to throw in some thoughts about the ubuntu-users list over the last few
> years.
>
> Just to forestall the inevitable: yes, I know about sounder ;-)
>
> Some people with long memories might recall that I used to answer quite
> a few questions here, once upon a time. ;-) Lately other projects and
> concerns have meant that I have not contributed much.
>
> This post will probably be seen as off-topic by some... So be it.
>
> I think that we are seeing the usual evolution of a list as the project
> becomes ever more popular. In 2004-6 (roughly), this list really was
> mostly about technical help and discussion, and I think the
> "demographic" was *similar* to that on, say, a Debian list. As Ubuntu
> has become more and more popular, we have seen an influx of people who
> don't come from the "traditional" Linuxish/*nixish backgrounds. The
> kinds of questions have changed, and the level of discussion has perhaps
> dropped in quality somewhat.
>
> That's a nice way of saying that the signal-to-noise ratio has
> deteriorated ;-)
>
> Fortunately, there are some excellent posters who continue to provide
> good advice and help. Inevitably, there are now more of the other
> variety than there used to be.
>
> The reason for this post may not be immediately obvious, so here is my
> take on what is seemingly happening. (This appears to be true for other
> communication channels like IRC as well).
>
> *  We are going through the period during which a relatively new
> project sorts out what it is actually for, and who actually fits that
> need.
>
> * We are likely to see some people disappear, because the nature of the
> "community" has changed in ways that don't fit their perceptions of
> what "should" be happening, or their interests no longer fit the
> changes.
>
> * We are going to suffer from the loss of people who are simply tired
> of repeating the same answers again and again. If you spend enough time
> trying to help, you eventually get to a stage where it often seems
> better not to say anything, rather than be seen as "arrogant" or "a net
> nanny" or a "self-appointed expert", and so on....
>
> * All of this is perfectly normal and part of the expected changes in a
> large project that has a wide variety of participants.
>
> * Lest this be seen as a long-winded illumination of the obvious - the
> point of sending it is to try to summarise the reasons for recent
> *cough* long threads dealing mostly with very "human" issues - like
> "why are we getting irritated by a few loud and obnoxious posters with
> no clues", and so on.

> [...]
Very well said and I might add right on target, I have gotten a great
deal of help from the list.

Unfortunately, however, even though I have a long background of software
development I have not been able to return the favor. I am still
learning Ubuntu and as I become more knowledgeable I too will begin to
post possible solutions to problems.

Cheers,
Jay

--