Similar Experience/Forget Hardy

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:26:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Steve Lamb <grey at dmiyu.org> wrote:

>    Still trying to figure out when that change went into effect and whom,
> exactly, thought it was a good idea.  I mean the traditional method is
> that the position in the chain determines the letter and the partition

I don't think sda5 could automagically become sda2, but I've had this
happen, but only recently on my new system rebuild. I have one 500 gig
drive (currently sdc) because I have two other older IDE drives hooked
up (hda and hdb), but I'm not actively using them - they're there to
bring files off when or if I need them.

But if I boot another distro (like a live cd rom of sabayon or sidux)
those drive assignments change, and I have to sit on my hands and
think "which drive am I really going to talk to"??

I can see this happening on removables such as usb sticks, but for
non-removable feed disks those things should be able to stay put.