help+ubuntu 8.04 installation+please

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 11 20:50:10 UTC 2008

On 06/11/2008 12:51 PM, Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> thnx for the mail
>

> yes i do have a usb stick
>
> and with lspci command
>
> the display controller :  ati tech. unknown device 5874

This sounds like this issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/213753
[Cannot get normal graphical session running after install]

Try the "Failsafe GNOME" option at the login screen and see if that gets
you into gdm.

<quote>
As a workaround, I was able to boot up the system and click on the OPTIONS
menu at the startup screen. Clicking on the OPTIONS menu and choosing
"Sessions", I picked the "Failsafe GNOME" option, and changed to that
session. Then, the Desktop appeared. A message in the menu appeared
notifying me that there was a restricted driver available (for the
video). I installed that restricted driver and restarted the machine. I
was then able to enter my UN and PW and safely start up a normal Ubuntu
session using the newly installed video driver.
</quote>