urgent+ubuntu 8.04 desktop+post installation trouble

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 11 19:56:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:27:04 +0200, Donny George wrote:

> hello Aart
>
> thanks for the mail
>
> i reconfigured the xscreen then did the normal boot but the problem
> still persists.
>
> the installation from the live cd happened without any problem,
> everything just went well.
>
> how do i possibly find the hardware now. i saw the option to go to text
> mode once i logged into the recovery mode. wat would be the command to
> display the hardware page by page. is it something like lspci ?

Hello Donny

first, at the moment you post with text + html. Could you switch the html
off, it gives a lot off garble in my newsreader (I follow the discussion
in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user, which I find easier then all those emails)

I saw you already tried the command lshw, but it did not work for you.

There are a number off log-files you can look at. The x-server itself
has /var/log/Xorg.0.log. As most logfiles, it is long, but it may pay to
study it, it may mention somewhere why X would not start. At least it
will mention your graphic hardware somewhere, and that is information we
will need to try to find a solution to your problems.

Another command I find usefull is "dmesg | less". This will give a
complete log off your booting process and almost all hardware found in
your computer will be mentioned there somewhere. Any problem during the
booting will be mentioned there too.

We will need some information about your hardware to troubleshoot this. I
did have a simular problem with an almost new ASUS F3M laptop, but the
solution I found will not be the right solution for an old desktop, or
for another laptop. Please give us that information, someone on teh list
might have (almost) the same hardware and a solution to your problem.

Aart