Similar Experience/Forget Hardy

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Wed Jun 11 18:26:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, June 11, 2008 10:20 am, Nils Kassube wrote:
> If you have more than one drive in your machine, it isn't guaranteed that
> it will always get the same device name. Therefore, it is useful to use
> UUIDs even for internal disks.

    Still trying to figure out when that change went into effect and whom,
exactly, thought it was a good idea.  I mean the traditional method is
that the position in the chain determines the letter and the partition
determines the number.  I certainly would hope that sda5 doesn't
suddenly come up as sda2 nor that somehow the 2nd drive in the chain
(sdb) somehow swaps with the first drive in the chain (sda) without some
external force physically moving it.  However, if that physical force...
ME.... moves it then I bloody well know why it is not sda instead of
sdb.  :P

--
Steve Lamb