help+ubuntu 8.04 installation+please

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Wed Jun 11 18:25:07 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> thnk you
>
> i dont have any other operating system on my computer its just the
> ubuntu 8.04 which was a fresh installation and the complete hard drive
> space has been devoted to ubuntu.
>
>  is there anyway i cud go into the text mode and type in some command to
> knwo the graphics card type. and once i know the card type how can i get
> it running with the present ubuntu installation
>
> or are there any other options to get the ubuntu 8.04 desktop running. i
> dont mind doing another fresh installation if some one tells i can avoid
> getting this problem again.
Hi there,
There are many wys to investigate your problem and I am sure a lot of
people here will help you.
Firstly there are two ways you can login:
Use safe mode or console mode.
You can enter Safe mode by hitting Esc at the moment you see the boot
menu and select the safe boot option. The screen will the remain in
standard VGA mode.
To enter console mode, simply press Crtl-Alt-F1 when you are confronted
with the login screen.
What would be helpful when you are in, is the file:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Attach this in an email to us.
To see what graphics card:
sudo lshw | less
or something like that.
--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |