Forget Hardy

Jeffrey Tooker Jeffreytooker at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 11 16:44:41 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> mwbesemer at cox.net wrote:
>

>> When I first started experimenting with Ubuntu/Linux, I expected to find a
>> community that was full of knowledge and ready to help.  I'm sorry to say
>> that what I've experienced has not been at all like that.  Mario's
>> comments below seem all too typical.
>>

> Mario's comments are only typical of our response to a person who has been
> continually giving out completely erroneous, often stupid, advice on this
> list, and complaining about the _good_ advice he has received.  Mario gives
> good advice (which I often disagree with, but that's Linux!).
>

>> Regarding security updates, those touting the Linux Kernal are always
>> quick to point out that Linux is unlike Windows in that it does not have
>> security concerns as Windows does,
>>

> Who ever said that?  Please provide citations, because it's not true, never
> has been true, and isn't something I've ever seen.  People are quick to
> point out that Linux security concerns are addressed promptly and
> publicly - unlike Windows' - but that's not the same thing at all.
>

>> then those of us to are brave enough to
>> give it a try quickly find out differently.
>>

> What?  You tried a new kernel and found a serious security issue?  I'm
> shocked (not to mention sceptical).
>
> This (and other Ubuntu lists) _is_ "a community ... full of knowledge and
> ready to help", but those who bite the hand that feeds tend to get less
> help, and we expect people to try to help themselves.  If you posted with a
> subject of "pls hlp", or "HELP", probably with lots of exclamations, you
> probably never got a response (likely, nobody even read your post).  If you
> gave an informative subject, but then - as in the last message I responded
> to - said "my Toshiba Satellite can't connect to the Internet", without a
> hint of a problem description, most people would just say they don't have
> the time to drag the problem out of you.  And if you're given everything
> you need to google the answer for yourself, and complain, you get
> killfiled.

No matter which side of the issue you are on, we have become a victim of
the Google and Windows culture. If you want an answer Google it. Most of
the time the answer is at hand with no extended research. People get
lazy (or never knew how to do research in the first place) and want the
answer with little or no work on their part. If your Windows system is
not doing what you want go to Help and pick from choices A through D.
None of the above encourages independent thought. In coming to Ubuntu I
had to work my way out of the mind set above, thanks to this list. On
this list I learned "do your homework first". If that does not work then
ask.

Jeffrey