Similar Experience/Forget Hardy

Wed Jun 11 16:36:16 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:

> You should really switch to the new way of doing things. It's only a
> matter of time before /dev becomes even more unusable than it already
> is.  If you want to be more human readable, you can use LABEL instead of
> UUID, but then, you become solely responsible to make sure you don't
> accidentally create duplicates.

For usb drives and the like, I like (and use) UUID.
For devices for which I know the /dev address, I use /dev.

I've not gone through and replaced all the UUIDs with /dev addresses,
but when I created /dev/sda7 it made sense to add it as /dev/sda7 since
I already knew it by that address, and that worked.

If/when /dev stops being so usable (which I imagine it will when or
before I have multiple SATA/SCSI controllers) I do intend to start using
  labels, but old habits die hard and all that...

--
Avi Greenbury