Forget Hardy

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed Jun 11 15:48:22 UTC 2008

On 06/11/2008 02:58 AM, Res wrote:
> That is why people who only generate noise (those telling others to RTFM
> etc) should STF up and not comment

Uhh, well, just saying "RTFM" or "google is your friend" is not
helpful.  But far more often what I see is here is:

"RTFM, try $man fm"  or
"google is your friend: http://link.to.fm"

Frankly that IS helpful.  When a noob emails the list  and says: "how do
I get foo working?"  That is probably all they want to know, but they
NEED to know how to figure it out.   So giving a link to the FM is
actually pretty good advice.

I still consider myself a noob in ubuntu - all linux really - so I know
how hard it can be.  My biggest problem is that there is a lauguage or
set of assumptions built into "man" pages that I don't quite
understand.  I think that they assume that the reader understands some
programming conventions, and I just dont.  But that does not stop me
from making the effort.  Sometimes I am able to figure it out.  But if
not, at least I learn enough to ask an intelligent question.

Also, even though  this list is "Ubuntu user technical support"  That
should be read to mean Ubuntu Users discussion about technical issues.
As far as I know, no one who posts here does so because it is their
job.  It's all volunteer.  If someone wants to have their questions
answered as though they were a paying customer, then they need to be . .
. well . . . a paying customer.  I believe that Canonical offers such a
service.  Otherwise the RW analogy is walking down the hall, sticking
your head in someone's door and saying "can you help me?"

> if they dont wish to supply a newbie
> with an answer or assist them in a meaningful way. It would take these
> self appointed list mod net-cop loonies less energy to supply an answer
> than what it does most of them in their rantings.

If you think there is a lot of ranting, or that this list is
intimidating, then you have lead a sheltered life.  Try a newsgroup like
alt.comp.security.  The regulars there can be very informative, but some
will make a smoldering ruin out of those who don't do a little bit of
homework before posting.