Similar Experience

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jun 11 01:24:19 UTC 2008

Steve Brettell wrote:
> I had a similar experience.  I admitted to not knowing what I was
> reading or doing, and got the answer that I shouldn't be considering
> using Ubuntu if I was so ignorant.  After that, posting seemed to be
> sort of a waste of time.

To be fair this is a little out of context...

what was the question? How did you word it?

Sometimes those are two of the biggest factors determining your
reception to a group largely comprised of Linux geeks that gravitate, in
large part, to a shared meritocracy.

Second, if it was a basic basic question that could or should have been
easily found with some googling, you really do risk getting some flames
   out of the encounter. If you start arguing, you'll get twice as much
flak for it.

If you couldn't understand the explanations even if they're simplified
down then maybe it really is possible that Linux really wasn't for you
because it isn't user friendly...it grew from a geek-oriented project.
What do you expect? :-)

Everyone gets a lashing here at some point. You keep trying to learn and
grow a thicker skin and you'd be fine.