Resolution problem in Hardy

John Cavan john at damncats.org
Wed Jun 11 00:09:20 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Kelly Alford <alford_kell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Whats wrong with 8.04 is that I can only get an 800 by 600 screen resolution
> and I want to see the entire web sites on one screen instead of having to
> scroll over to see the the other side of the page and it only started to do
> this after i downloaded 8.04.

New to the list, but I recently installed Hardy AMD64 on one of my
machines that has an nVidia card. The proprietary driver simply failed
to work; I had to grab the one from nVidia and install it instead and
then tweak the xorg.conf file.

If you go that route (assuming nVidia), their README has good
information in it, so make sure you read it. However, be aware that it
is a bit of a maintenance pain if there are kernel updates to Ubuntu as
you'll have to re-do the driver install in that event. It doesn't take
long, but it's an extra step to remember. Also, see this link:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 for a bit more
information.

Final note, if your setup is 64 bit, make sure that you install the 32
bit libraries from nVidia in the process (it will ask you).

Regards,
John