OT: which to use - email client or web-based email?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Jun 10 21:34:19 UTC 2008

> For many years I have been using traditional email clients
> Recently, I have considered the possibility of using a web-based email service (Hotmail,
> Yahoo, Gmail, etc.), either in addition to or instead of a traditional
> email client.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Thoughts ? Hmmm: you don't have to choose ! ;-)

I have two mail accounts, one from my ISP, another from Gmail.
I prefer to use my local mail client (Sylpheed) most/all of the time,
but both mail providers also offer a web interface to my accounts. So if
I happen to find a use for the web interface, well I know it's right
there, ready to be used.

So don't choose. Gmail and probably most major webmail providers, also
provide POP access. So just try both POP and web in parallel and see for
yourself over a period of time, which one suits you best...

As for me, I prefer a local mail client because the user interface
doesn't suffer the lags and unreliably of a net connection, doesn't
require to connect to a website, and is generally much faster to use
when dealing with lots of mails every day, also because you don't have
to use the mouse to operate it. That's also why I prefer mailing lists
to web forums. More genrally, for any non-occasional work, a stear
clear from anything web based.
another point that I llike in a local client: the ability to choose a
client whose user interface and functionnality/feature set suits me, and
that integrates with the desktop (widgets/themes/etc), which a web mail
can't offer: you are tied to the user interface that they have designed.
I also like not to have to think of storage limits, since you generally
have ample room on a modern hard drive/computer.

But despite all that, I still recognise the value of the web interface
when one needs to access his mail account when away from home,
occasionally. BUt for daily/regular use, I don't even remotely think of
using the web interface.

HTH ! ;-)

Regards,

--