Help Please

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jun 10 14:19:51 UTC 2008

elmo wrote:
> Clayton wrote:
>
>>> I have downloaded Ubuntu 4 times and burned it to CD but it will not load.
>>> The ISO Ubuntu file seems OK.
>>>
>>> I have a blank formatted HDD and put the Ubuntu CD into the CD drive, set
>>> the Bios to boot from CD, but it does not load.
>>>
>>> What could the problem be?
>>>

>> Are you burning the ISO as data to the CD (when you open a file
>> manager and look at what is on the CD after you burn it, do you see
>> the ISO file, or a bunch of other files and directories)?
>>
>> The ISO is an image.  Think of it as something like a zip file.  A zip
>> file can contain lots of other files all packaged together into one
>> file.  You must unzip it to get at the stuff inside.  Well the ISO
>> works in a similar way... it is a single file and inside it is all the
>> files all bundled together.  To make it "readable" and "bootable" you
>> need to use your CD burning software to burn the ISO to CD, not to
>> burn data to disk.
>>
>> Here is an example with images using Nero:
>> http://wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
>> Depending on what software you are using, the menu selections could be
>> slightly different.. hopefully this gives you an idea what needs to be
>> done.
>>
>> C.
>>

> The ISO file that you download is not the file that you install....don't
> make a CD directly from the ISO download.  You must first convert the
> ISO download to a IMAGE CD.   For this. you must use a burner program
> that converts the ISO download to create the IMAGE CD. If you still have
> Windows, you very likely have a CD burner, such as Nero, that will do this.
>
> elmo

    I am sorry Elmo but your help is confusing even to me :-)

    What you need to do is NOT copy the .iso to a CD but rather install
the .iso. Once you have this done put the CD back in the computer and
look at what is on the CD. If it has many folders you did it right. If
you have just one file you did it wrong.

    It IS confusing but new CD's to write to are just a few cents each
these days.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI