Help Please

Clayton smaug42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 10:35:05 UTC 2008

> I have downloaded Ubuntu 4 times and burned it to CD but it will not load.
> The ISO Ubuntu file seems OK.
>
> I have a blank formatted HDD and put the Ubuntu CD into the CD drive, set
> the Bios to boot from CD, but it does not load.
>
> What could the problem be?

Are you burning the ISO as data to the CD (when you open a file
manager and look at what is on the CD after you burn it, do you see
the ISO file, or a bunch of other files and directories)?

The ISO is an image.  Think of it as something like a zip file.  A zip
file can contain lots of other files all packaged together into one
file.  You must unzip it to get at the stuff inside.  Well the ISO
works in a similar way... it is a single file and inside it is all the
files all bundled together.  To make it "readable" and "bootable" you
need to use your CD burning software to burn the ISO to CD, not to
burn data to disk.

Here is an example with images using Nero:
http://wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
Depending on what software you are using, the menu selections could be
slightly different.. hopefully this gives you an idea what needs to be
done.

C.