Unable to delete partition

xerces8 xerces8 at butn.net
Mon Jun 9 11:54:48 UTC 2008

"Gary Kirkpatrick" wrote:

> I need to rid myself of a partition, upon which I happen to have installed
> Kubuntu.  Gparted won't permit it.  It says "please unmount any partition
> greater than 5."  The partition is sda5, so the response is not logical.
> Unmount is greyed out.  Tried to do the same procedure in Partition Eidtor
> after booting from a live cd, same results.  Any suggestions?  Current
> version of ubuntu is in sda7.

Use fdisk, which is less anal. (read: it will delete the partition without complaining)

Of course if Ubuntu haven't given attention to the problem of "which partition is which",
your setup will stop working. (after reboot, if not sooner)

But that is OK for a regular user, I guess.

Sarcastically yours,
David