Unable to delete partition

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jun 9 05:25:10 UTC 2008

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I need to rid myself of a partition, upon which I happen to have
> installed Kubuntu.  Gparted won't permit it.  It says "please unmount
> any partition greater than 5."  The partition is sda5, so the response
> is not logical. Unmount is greyed out.

Yes, it is geyed out for sda5, but you should umount the other logical
partitions. And if one of the locical partitions is your swap partition,
switch off swap as well (command "sudo swapoff -a" in a terminal).

Deleting logical partitions is a bit tricky because they will be renamed
afterwards, i.e. sda6 becomes sda5, sda7 becomes sda6, etc. Therefore the
other partitions may not be in use. And take care of /etc/fstab
and /boot/grub/menu.lst of your current system, if you are still using
device names instead of UUIDs for partition.

> Tried to do the same procedure
> in Partition Eidtor after booting from a live cd, same results.  Any
> suggestions?  Current version of ubuntu is in sda7.

I suppose one of the logical partitions sda5, sda6, etc. is your swap
partition which would be used by the live CD automatically. Then you
should switch off swap first (see above).

Nils