Couple of minor problems with the Heron (8.04 LTS)

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 9 00:25:24 UTC 2008

Jay Ridgley wrote:
| Folks,
|
| I have 3 systems running 8.04 LTS all at the same release level and have
| a few questions:
|
| 1. Why when I double click a url in an e-mail doesn't it open up a
| browser window?

check system> preferences> preferred apps  make sure open link with
default browser is selected.

| 2. When you download a file (such as RealPlayer11GOLD.bin) where does it
| get placed? I tried doing a find after following the instructions in the
| ubuntuguide.org/wiki but the following commands yield nothing:
|     cd /
|     sudo find . -name RealPlayer11GOLD.bin -print (with or without
| quotes around it.)

I believe desktop is default, can always be changed in firefox under
edit> preferences under the "main" tab.  if not sure where you saved
something click tools> downloads then right click on whatever file you
downloaded and choose open folder containing

| 3. I try to bring up SoftwareSources on one of my systems and the little
| icon spins for a while then goes away and nothing happens? I am running
| as an Administrator.

wrong password?

| 4. On that same system when I try to do check in the UpdateManager
| window after it says your system is up to date it never completes justs
| grays the window out and sits there. Why?
|
| Note: #3 & #4 work fine on the others.
|
| I think this distribution and the community support it has is the best
| in the business.
|
| Cheers,
| Jay
|
| PS I am only 67, just a kid, been using computers since 1965, Unix since
| 1992, Linux since release 0.99 & Ubuntu since 5.10
|
| --
|

| Jay Ridgley
| jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
| Registered Linux User ID - 9115