rsync is bad

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Jun 8 22:19:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 23:50 +1000, Res wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, Res wrote:
> >
> > Why do you run a dozen rsyncs?  why not -
> >
> > rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '/media' /. /media/disk
>
> Actually more to the point, since you are not backing up to a network
> server, why not just use   cp -a /dir /dir /dir /dest
> ...works just as well
> --
> Cheers, Res

Hi Res,
As a newbie sometimes it is better to try 12 times something that works
and it's easy to check and control ...
... than doing it with a quite complex command and loose control !? ;-)

I too am not backing up to a network (now) and use rsync ! ;-D
Why ?
I like rsync's smart way and I am trying to get familiar with and
later with backing up to a network I only need to adjust target !! ;-))

However: Thanks a lot for feedback and hints how to do better.
Cheers, svobi