rsync is bad

Jorge Luis lists at jorge.cc
Sun Jun 8 20:47:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:32:55PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:36:06 -0400
> Jorge Luis <lists at jorge.cc> wrote:
>
> > I've been using rsync [..] and ran into some problems with Gnome's migration to gvfs.
> > rsync would bomb out trying to access $HOME/.gvfs, even when that
> > subdirectory was excluded.  Check the permissions of .gvfs; if they're
> > odd (e.g., 500), check launchpad for a work-around script or drop in
> > gvfs-fuse from hardy-proposed.
>
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Today I tried using Rsync for the first time, and ran into the problem
> you mentionned.

If you're looking for an rsync-based backup solution, I heartily endorse
dirvish.

> I enabled hard-proposed to see what was available, but out of 80(!)
> updates, I didn't find gvfs-fuse or anything that looked related to
> that. Am I missing something ?

jorge at satyr:~$ aptitude search gvfs
i   gvfs                    - userspace virtual filesystem - server
i   gvfs-backends           - userspace virtual filesystem - backends
i   gvfs-bin                - userspace virtual filesystem - binaries
i   gvfs-fuse               - userspace virtual filesystem - fuse server
p   libgvfscommon-dev       - userspace virtual filesystem - development files
i   libgvfscommon0          - userspace virtual filesystem - library

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/212789

--
Jorge Luis <lists at jorge.cc>