rsync is bad

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jun 8 16:46:22 UTC 2008

Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun June 8 2008 04:11:28 Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Mike Bird wrote:

>>> Karl,
>>>
>>> You have blamed rsync.  OK, let's find the bug in rsync.
>>>
>>> Please start by telling us one file (or more if you prefer)
>>> that is different in the rsync copy than the original.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --Mike Bird
>>>
>>     Exactly. I had the rsync copy at /mnt and the looked at /etc/X11 and
>> /etc/gdm along with the same files on this computer. I compared the fact
>> that the copy is missing no files in those directories.
>>
>>     The error messages say the copy is "refusing to initialize GTK+.
>> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup... mkdtemp: private socket
>> dir. Permission denied. Sounds like something is not being run by root.
>> Also no man page for mkdtemp.
>>

> If you want software development man pages you need manpages-dev.  apt-file
> could have told you that, or you could have googled for "linux man mkdtemp"
> without the quotes.
>

>>     I suppose it could be a link is broken. It sure looks like it.
>>

> Looks like bad permissions in the user's home directory.  Please show us
> the rsync command you used for /home so we can help you find the rsync bug.
>
> --Mike Bird

    Can't do that now Mike. I formatted the partition again for a fresh
start. I used a rsync method recommended and will comment on it's
workings. I fixed the recommended rsync method and used it to backup
this Ubuntu to /dev/hda7 again. The rsync ended with zero errors.

    Here is the way I used rsync:
karl at karl-desktop:~$ cat /root/bin/rsync1
# This file is designed to backup my Ubuntu to the USB Hard Drive using
rsync
# Karl Larsen, 8 june 08
# rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '/media' /.
# /media/disk
rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude 'home' --exclude
'/mnt' /. /mnt

The last line is what I used because I wanted the backup to go direct to
/dev/hda7 and it did.

    Next I went to /mnt/etc/fstab and changed the uuid to the one I made
yesterday for /dev/hda7. Then I reboot and came up in the backup. It
found the kernel and the splash panel came on and there it stopped.

    I rest my case. Rsync does not work as a backup because the backup
does not work. Period.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI