ODD GTK+ problem

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jun 7 21:11:22 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     The backup comes clear up, almost but then a white panel appears in
> the center of the screen and says:
>
>        Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. You have an
> Intallation problem.
>
>      I looked at the error things and they say:
>
> .xsession-errors file
>
> process:5394 GTK-WARNING++: This process is currently running. This is
> not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper program. For
> further details, see
> http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
>
> Also says:
>     Refusing to initilize GTK+ /etc/gdm/xsession: Beginning session
> setup ... mkdtemp:private socket dir: Permission denied.
>

> This is a lot of stuff I have zero knowledge of. I didn't know my
> system used GTK+ and why is it not working on my backup?

In your previous mail you wrote, that your backup partition was used for
Fedora before - at least that's how I understand it. Could it be that your
directories still have the UID/GID permissions from Fedora, which might
be different from Ubuntu? Or even worse - could it be that you now have a
mixture of Fedora and Ubuntu files on that partition? Other than that, I
have no idea what the error message could mean.

Nils