Backup booting

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jun 7 19:06:59 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Nils Kassube wrote:

>>> Um, how about writing it down? Yes, I know, pen and paper is sooo last
>>> century :)

>>> That depends - if the error happens before / is mounted, it can't be
>>> written to the disk, but if it happens late enough during the boot
>>> process, you might find something in one of the files in /var. Have a
>>> look at the files messages, syslog, syslog.0, kern.log.

>>> I think you would have to reboot with the trouble disk and wait for the
>>> message. And if you don't want to write it down, you could use a digital
>>> camera and take a photo.
>>>

>>> Nils
>>>

>>     Nils, if the rsync backup is good I should not be having these
>> problems. I think there is something basic wrong. After getting the grub
>> and fstab right it should come right up.
>>
>>     I think the rsync backup is bad. here is what I used:
>>
>> karl at karl-desktop:~$ cat /root/bin/backup
>> # This file is designed to backup my Ubuntu to the USB Hard Drive using
>> rsync
>> # Karl Larsen, 26 Feb 08
>> rsync -av /boot /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /bin  /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /dev  /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /etc  /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /lib  /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /opt  /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /root /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /sbin /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /tmp /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /usr /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /var /media/disk/
>> rsync -av /initrd /media/disk/
>> karl at karl-desktop:~$
>>
>> I had to make a /home directory after the fact.
>>

> I usually copy / too, and add the --one-file-system option to keep it
> from recursing down mount points.  That way you'll get the directory
> entries for /proc, /sys, /dev, etc. and anything else you might have missed.

    Well finally got something to work with. Here is what a boot looks
like now using the /dev/hda7 partition. I copied this by hand on paper :-)

    It stops for about 4 minutes with this showing:

[33.536208] sda: sda1 sda2

This worries me because the original is on sda2.

    Then it went again and stopped after 4 minutes:

Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline for missing modules, devices: ls /dev
Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/16ccb569-10ba-43c2-856e-f2cce 1307a29 does not
exist. Dropping to a shell.

It did.
    So now to see where this uuid is located and go from there.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User