screen resolution

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 7 17:30:21 UTC 2008

On 06/07/2008 12:21 AM, Daryn Hanright wrote:
> * NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> You might find this helpful:
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
>> http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/randr-2007-02-06-17-50
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration
>>

> A ha! Onto something here! I decided to remove all my restricted
> driver nvidia stuff & go back to the nv driver. Same problem, just
> have more choice (640x480 also - woo hoo!). So From
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration I've
> tried running:
>
> sudo xresprobe nv
>
> I think this is supposed to probe your monitor - my results where:
>
> id: res: freq: disptype:
>
> Zilch! I think the latest updates to xorg/ubuntu hardy have no idea
> what my monitor is. And even when I try to use a more defined
> xorg.conf it doesn't want to know. I think might have a problem with
> the combo of GeForce4 Ti 4200 & my Acer AL2216W 22" monitor. Might
> have to do a bug report I think.

OK, try:

gksu displayconfig-gtk

and choose Acer AL2216W(c,v,x). & check Widescreen (if that is what it
is). If nothing else, you'll be able to see the Horiz and Vert ranges
that you can use to build/customize your own xorg.conf.

If displayconfig-gtk isn't there, install it:

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk