X restarts under 8.04 LTS - by itself after an Error, message - WHY?

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 7 16:11:48 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 23:46:43 -0500
> From: "Chris Mohler" <cr33dog at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: X restarts under 8.04 LTS - by itself after an Error
> 	message -	WHY?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
> 	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks as the subject states my X session restarts after a time (random
>> duration) messages from Daemon log follow:
>>
>> Network Manager: <info> Updating allowed wireless network lists.
>> Network Manager: <WARN> nm_dbus_get_networks_cb(): error received:
>> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - There are no wireless
>> networks stored...
>> gdm[31100]: WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting
>> :0
>>

> I doubt they are related.  Some things to check:
>
> Do you have an ATI or nVidia Nard?  If so, are you using the
> proprietary drivers?  If not, what type of video card to you have?
> (lspci and lshw may tell you)

Video card is a 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 3 (rev 01) without any
proprietary drivers installed.
> Does it only happen after the machine is idle?  If so, post the result of:
> glxinfo | grep -i direct

It only occurs when the system is idle for some period of time, several
tasks are running but iconized. Results  follow:

jay at polar:~$ glxinfo|grep -i direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
jay at polar:~$
> Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with latest updates.

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com