Suspicious Class B IP now exists after upgrade to 8.04, LTS

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 21:01:00 UTC 2008

--snip--

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:23:16 -0500
From: Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>
Subject: Suspicious Class B IP now exists after upgrade to 8.04 LTS
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

Folks,

Can any one give me  a reason for a Class B IP  address appearing in my
network routing tables ?

I did not create it, it is not part of my network nor have I been able
to delete it with the route command.

Does having the automatic update notification or any of the update tools
utilize such an item? I am very concerned about the existence of this
suspicious address. I have it on both the two systems I have upgraded to
8.04 LTS. A third system  that  is running  7.10 now appears to exhibit
the problem as well.

Ideas and suggestions welcomed...

Regards,
Jay

Jay Ridgleyjridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115

--snip-- --snip-- Message: 7 Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:55:20 -0700 From:
Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot at tic.com> Subject: Re: Suspicious Class B IP
now exists after upgrade to 8.04 LTS To: "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
<1212782120.12630.31.camel at smoot.tic.com> Content-Type: text/plain On
Fri, 2008-06-06 at 14:23 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> > Folks,
> >
> > Can any one give me  a reason for a Class B IP  address appearing in my
> > network routing tables ?

What is the address?

--snip-- The address is 169.254.0.0 Cheers, Jay

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115