Problems w/ Kernels on Hardy

chris lostpkts at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:29:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> My own rule of thumb is more like that I keep the latest Live-CD in case
> anything should go wrong. In fact I keep all of them. Besides I have another
> computer as well with which I can burn a new one if the current ones don't
> work.
>
> And I always take backups of my own files. I do that to a USB HDD. That way
> I make it done. If I made backups to DVD I would probably usually just don't
> do it, because of the inconvenience: Looking for an empty DVD or erasing a
> DVD+RW, and it takes too long time to copy all the files to it and I would
> need several of them etc etc. Now I just wrote a few scripts which I run by
> just clicking an icon, and a few seconds or minutes later the backup is
> done.

I'm normally not overly worried about backups.  I have a Ubuntu 7.10
server happily sitting in the corner with a 9x400g drives in a raid5
software array.  My laptop attaches via NFS to the server so all my
pictures, media, and documents are on the NFS mount and thus on the
server.  the only thing that I normally need to grab in a disaster, if
I remember, is some of my config files (.*rc files).

Of course when I roam, I don't have the server attached, but I have
docs that I need on a local directory as well that I use rsync with.

:)

Chris