No sound after the latest update

Miguel Daniel Rodríguez Magarzo 4.magarzo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 20:21:43 UTC 2008

El mié, 04-06-2008 a las 19:23 -0400, Shannon McMackin escribió:
> Miguel Daniel Rodríguez Magarzo wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I am not sure whether this problem happened after a single daily update
> > or maybe after a automated kernel update, since generally I don't pay
> > much attention about which updates are running, just let the system to
> > do it. But the sound went off just after that update.
> >
> > This is a laptop Thinkpad T42 with a 2.6.24-18-generic kernel, Ubuntu
> > 8.04.
> >
> > Trying to open the volume control applet (which appears with the
> > non-operative symbol, e.g. a white cross over a square red background),
> > it says something similar to this:
> >
> > There were no GStreamer volume control devices found.
> > "No se han encontrado complementos o dispositivos control de volumen de
> > GStreamer."
> >
> > On the other hand, if we go to System > Preferences > Sound, and
> > clicking in the first button ("To try") trying to listen some sound
> > event, it gives me the following:
> >
> > audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
> > gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument
> >
> > Other buttons give similar warning, and there, just below at the end,
> > there is no sound device to select!
> >
> > I think this bug:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/200338
> >
> > and this one:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/200451
> >
> > are saying the same, but those were reported months ago, I don't know
> > its status or whether they were eventually solved.
> >
> > Is someone able to clear something at this, please?
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> Try installing the lum (linux ubuntu modules) package for your kernel.
> Backports may also be appropriate.

You were right. That was what was missing indeed. Synaptic,
linux-ubuntu-modules for the latest kernel installed, reboot and
everything fine.

Though, I do not understand how such a relevant package doesn't come
"attached" as a dependency when updating the system to a new kernel.
People cannot re-check again and again which packages are present and
which ones aren't at a certain moment... (in my honest opinion),
specially when we talking about people that don't care very much about
techs, but just a system ready for working.

Thank you very much, man.

Daniel