Core Duo SMP Support issue

Michael Sotnikov astar at tut.by
Thu Jun 5 07:42:17 UTC 2008

Sam Currie:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I've been Googling for a good
> two hours now and I'm yet to find a solution.
>
> My problem is that I have noticed by Ubuntu 8.04 install is only using
> one core of my T5500 1.6 GHz CPU.  My machine is a Sony VGN-SZ32GP.
> After some hunting I found the following interesting message from
> dmesg, "SMP alternatives: switching to UP code".

Do You have any ACPI related errors during boot?
Try to boot with acpi_osi=!Linux.
I think that acpi of your laptop provide wrong information to kernel. If
your manufacturer released newer firmware - update!

I recommend you to check your acpi's dsdt for errors (read
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems)

Good luck!