Core Duo SMP Support issue

Sam Currie sam.currie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 06:59:45 UTC 2008

2008/6/5 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org>:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 22:28 +1000, Sam Currie wrote:
>> Does anyone have any ideas?  I put Ubuntu on to replace Vista which
>> was running like a dog.  Ubuntu has been very speedy and I can't wait
>> to unlock my second core!
>
> Did you ever check that Vista saw both cores? I don't know about your
> Sony, but my HP has a BIOS setting (which it used by default) that makes
> it represent only one CPU to the OS. Changing the setting made it show
> two cores.
>
> Note that the core is not disabled by this BIOS setting, i.e., an
> application that is now shown to use 100% of one of the two visible
> cores would be shown to use 50% of one visible core with the default
> setting.

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply, but yes, Vista did see two cores.

It's a very frustrating issue.  I have found some relevant Google
results, but that is for machines coming out of hibernation losing one
core.  Upon a full shutdown / startup, they have two cores again.  But
this doesn't fit my issue.

Thank you,