CD-ROM reading error in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS installation on ServerWorks board

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jun 4 19:17:03 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> James Tappin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:12:12 -0300
>> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

>> DB> I agree.  I finally gave up writing Ubuntu CDs to my (admittedly
>> DB> cheap) CDs.  I just write the CD image to DVDs which has worked
>> DB> flawlessly since my first attempt.
>>
>> While it's time-consuming, it's well worthwhile running the media
>> self-check option before installing.
>
> Absolutely - but when I was writing the image to my CDs, they always failed
> the media self-check! (in fact, _sometimes_ a CD that fails the check can
> still be used, if it only has errors in package files that aren't needed
> for your configuration, but risking it can cause you to go through a lot of
> work for nothing)

Jeebus,, if your error rate burning data CD's, any error on the entire
surface of the disc, exceed .1% (ie, 1 out of a 1000 cd's gets read
errors) It's *way* past time to get new equipment.

I've found optical drives to be relatively short lived devices when used
regularly, but fortunately, in North America at least, they are now a
$40 part.