Edgy down?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 4 19:00:27 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> On the subject of stability: of _course_ the newer releases aren't more
>> stable.  They're _newer_.  Nobody expects "new" to be rock solid, but
>> gutsy is, by now, solid, and hardy is pretty darn good.
>
> I'm confused...if new becomes old, then old was once new, so how could
> old be stable while new isn't?
>
> I expect new to fix problems with older versions, hence be more stable.
> I expect all new features to cause problems. New versions with more new
> features increases problems, I expect. Expectation does not always equal
> reality.

OK, now you're confusing me.  You expect the new version to be more stable,
but then again, you don't...

Gutsy _is_ more stable than Hardy because it has had security and other
updates, but no new features since release.  Hardy is necessarily less
stable but will become more so as the remaining bugs are stomped.

> I fully expect that a good backup is better than holding one's breath
> and not upgrading at all.

"than" rather than "and"?

I think I agree :-)
--