Kernel Update broke VirtualBox

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 01:41:36 UTC 2008

First time I ran into this problem I flailed around, google found me
lots of people with the same problem, but no solution.  At last I
discovered the problem was that there was a problem with the
dependency on the appropriate VirtualBox modules packages both modules
and guest-modules.  So rather than fix the problem, someone removed
the dependencies.

With the latest kernel update 2.6.24-17-generic -> 2.6.24-18-generic
there are not yet any VirtualBox modules for this kernel.  So for the
time being I tried editing my grub.conf to use the 2.6.24-17 kernel.
Somebody decided they didn't like the name grub.conf and changed it to
menu.lst, and decided to remove the symbolic link that was supporting
us backward folks who aren't up with the latest and greatest naming
conventions.  That's rude and annoying. How expensive is one lousy
symbolic link for backward compatibility

So will the VirtualBox module packages soon appear?

How urgent is the 2-6.24-17 -> 2.6.24-18 upgrade?

Should I download the source and figure out how to build my own
VirtualBox modules,
or should I just wait?

--
Drew Einhorn